In pointing out these things to the brethren, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, constantly nourished on the words of the faith and of the sound doctrine which you have been following. But have nothing to do with worldly fables fit only for old women. On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness;for bodily discipline is only of little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. It is a trustworthy statement deserving full acceptance. For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers. Prescribe and teach these things. 1 Tim. 4:6-11
I think it is timely that I am reading through the pastoral epistles (PE) for my devotional time because, 1. I have a class on it in a couple of weeks, 2. I am beginning my study in seminary and the topics in the pastoral epistles are very relevant to my life, 3. I will be preaching from 1 Tim. this Sunday. Thus, the next few posts will be on the PE.
The main focus in 1 Tim. is the false teachers within the Ephesian church and how Timothy was to deal with them. Paul in this passage and throughout the letter prescribes two things for Timothy, 1. teach sound doctrine(v6), 2. live a godly life (7-10). It's interesting in verse 7, Paul contrasts "worldly fables" with discipline for godliness. I thought that Paul should have compared "worldly fables" to "sound doctrine". In the mind of Paul godliness is inseparable from sound doctrine. In fact, godliness is the outward demonstration of the sound doctrine that Timothy was to teach.
As I reflect on this passage I find myself lacking in godliness. I pride myself in knowing theology, maybe even good solid doctrine. I can share and teach about "reformed theology" yet my life is not marked with godliness. As I enter into seminary and in the future, full time ministry, I am aware the need for true teaching and sound doctrine, but I am also more and more aware of the need for strong godly character and how much of it I am lacking.
Lastly, Paul highlighted two things about godliness. 1. It is beneficial both for the present life and the life to come. That godliness is of eternal value and eternal life starts now. 2. the reason to strive for godliness is because of our hope on the living God, who is our Savior. How I need to fix my hope on God and set my eyes on eternity!
Let us discipline ourselves for the purpose of godliness in accordance to sound doctrine.
1 comment:
fight.
Post a Comment