Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Above Reproach

An overseer, then, must be above reproach… 1 Tim. 3:2

This passage is a familiar passage for myself. I have though long and hard about the qualities of an elder/pastor, but in the context of applying these qualities to others. Now it is my turn to put myself up against these requirements. It is important to notice that there is only one quality that speaks to the ability of the elder, he must be able to teach. All other traits are about his character, which lead us back to the discussion of the pursuit of godliness.

However, as I went through the list, a couple of the traits caught my eyes. At first glance most of the characteristics are not exceedingly hard to achieve. I mean, I am not prone to anger, I don’t drink all the time, I have a pretty good reputation with people outside of the church, I don’t love money, maybe I need to be a little more gentle and hospitable but I can work on that. Of course, in each of these qualities I still have a great deal to improve on, but what really caught my eye is the management of of household, and the teaching of the children. In Titus 1:6 says that the children should be believers.

Maybe because I just got married and I am thinking about kids, but I find this quality or this task to be the hardest. I think about a lot of the elders and pastors that I know. Many of them have kids that are not Christians or unruly. Are they then disqualified for the position? I would say so, but why then were they not removed? Were they bad parents or did they do everything they can? As I think about my future, and the possibility of being a father, these questions are very heavy on my heart. I think partially I am concerned about this is because I realize that it is not completely in my control and how limited my power really is.

So I pray that I will not devote so much time in my ministry that I would neglect my wife and my children. I pray that I would be able to establish strong Christian teaching and values in my family with the help of my wife. And I pray for the souls of my future children that God might have mercy on them and bring them to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. O God help me and teach me to be a father and a husband!

No comments: