I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. 2 Tim. 4:1-2
Sorry for the lack of update for the past week, I’ve been pretty busy. For the past couple of days I have been listening to John Piper’s lecture series on preaching at Re: Train. One thing that really struck me was his description of preaching. He called it “expository exultation”. Preaching is both teaching and proclaiming, but most of all it is worshiping God through the exposition of Scripture.
2 Tim. 4:2 had always been a very important passage for myself, although the command was directed at Timothy, I feel that I too must preach in season and out of season. Every time I read this passage I can feel the intensity and the seriousness of Paul’s charge through the page. He says “I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus. This is the utmost command, the most important task, to preach the word, to expound and proclaim and rejoice over Scripture which is God-breathed (2 Tim. 3:16). Teach, train, correct, reprove, exhort, rebuke! 1 Pet. 4:11 says that if anyone speaks he should do it as if he is speaking the utterances of God. And in Eph. 3:8-10, Paul says that he preaches the unfathomable riches of Christ, and brings to light the mystery that was hidden in God for ages, in the presence of rulers in the heavenly places. What an awesome and sobering task! As I prepared last week’s sermon and reflect upon these verses and the idea of “expository exultation”, I was hit with how inadequate I am as a preacher, how privilege I am allowed to preach, and what an immense responsibility. As Lloyd-Jones said “the work of preaching is the highest and the greatest and most glorious calling to which anyone can ever be called.”
I pray that I would be able to display the greatness of God through the Bible and lead people to worship every time that I preach. That I might proclaim the riches of Christ and make clear the mystery of the Gospel each time I speak. That I might be faithful to Scripture even when faced with hardships and oppositions. God help me to preach in season and out of season, for the sake of Your glory, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment