For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either. For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies. 2 Thess. 3:10-11
The issue of idleness had been on my mind for quite some time and in the past couple of days I have been reminded of it again through 1,2 Thessalonians. Paul here is talking about people that are not working and just leeching off of the church, but I think it can applied to more generally an attitude of idleness. The treatment of they people that are not working is straightforward. They are not to eat. They are not to be associated with the church so that they may be ashamed and repent. As I reflect on these commands, I believe that I have not taking seriously the call to be diligent.
Last month a sister brought up the issue of gaming among the guys in CCF. Many of the guys didn't see it as a big issue, but as I think upon the issue and meditate on the passage, I believe it is definitely an issue, at least in my life. It is a big problem when I spend hours playing video games, and not just video games but watching TV shows or youtube. Part of the reason is because I am lazy, but I think it's more than that, it is idolatry. Idolizing gaming or whatever time wasting activity I would be doing because of the pleasure it gives. Misplacing or rather replacing the pleasure that God provides with quick gratification. Although I don't really like his style, I do appreciate what Mark Driscoll had to say on video games here. The danger of time wasters like video games, facebook, youtube etc. is that they don't seem bad, it's not like stealing, cheating, pornography etc., and they appear to be benign. However, in reality they are detrimental and destructive.
Also in the letter, Paul has been speaking about the coming of the Lord, and it seems that they were idle because they thought Jesus was coming back soon. It reminds me again the danger of misapplied theology. Rather than doing nothing and waiting for the return of Jesus, we are to strive for the kingdom for we do not know when He will return. I think we have the opposite mind set from the Thessalonians. They expected the second coming of Jesus but had wrong application, where we live as if Christ is not returning any time soon. However, we both fall into the sin of idleness. Lastly, the word "busybodies" had always struck home to me. Is what I am doing of eternal significance? Or am I just being a busybody, not really doing anything but doing something to keep myself busy?
God, please help me not to be idle, or to be a busybody, but help me to strive to further Your kingdom. Forgive me for replacing You with video games and TV shows. Please restore a passion and a desire to seek You and to know You above all the distractions of the world. Thank You for Jesus and that I can be forgiven through His work on the cross. Help me to fix my eyes on eternity and remind me of the coming again of Jesus, so that I may be diligent. Father, thank You for your grace and steadfast love. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment